Saturday, August 1, 2015

Critical Last Month

I am late by 2 3 days, but that is it. Last 4 weeks to go before I go on my first full time professional duty. Another title of this post would have been 'Changes in New Year Resolutions' or 'New Short Term Goals'. Before going further you may read - Start of 2 crucial Months.

12 hours of sleep minimum per day, that is how I can describe best my last month. Made a visit to Pune to meet some of MTech classmates and met my Sister too. Travelling is fun with your Bestie, no matter how short or long it is. So, back to Pune. Wasn't a well planned, rather not a planned one at all. Made some of friends awake till mid night and my Sister too. About Pune, well the homes I visited were Breezy. Climate Cool and shops remain close in noon. For me that was little tough, also public transportation, well it is rarely used by localities. 2 Wheeler dominate the streets. I learnt Bike riding too, better late than never..

Remaining time of the week was spent reading some books, hardly 30 pages a day. At this slow rate I was able to finish just 3 to 4 books, some half, some full. Read couple of books on kindle and sometimes getting a comfortable hold becomes difficult due to the touch screen. Anyway, I read a book 'Power of Habits', it consists of some case studies, some experiments with lots of people and tries to link the theories with real world events like a boycott movement at national level. Have heard a lot that - if you repeat something for 21 days continuously, then it becomes a habit. If you too believe the same, then please read the above book to find out the truth.

Running- there is a book by Bill Hudson (an Olympic athletes coach), Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach, and he talks about adaptive coaching. It consists of 6 7 different types of running drills to be performed for a better performance. It doesn't talk about cross training, nor about gym, it just supports and advise high volume workouts.One simple logic - marathon world record pace is just less than 21 kmph and we all can run faster than that, so why aren't we world record holders. We definitely have speed, but the endurance to carry that speed over longer distance is missing and book talks in depth about the building up that endurance. Additionally it suggests 8 to 10 secs of steep hill sprints to avoid injury and its working for me so far. Finally it talks about self assessment and how to how to plan your workouts.

Currently I am back on canvas shoes, and hope each pair at least lasts for a month or 500 kms, whichever is late. I ran some 10 milers in July. At the end of July, laziness again caught me and I skipped many days of exercise. I hope to go upto 15 miles this month. Then 20 in September and 25 (26.2 miles is Marathon) in October. Although my speed is 10 to 11 mins per mile, very slow, but I wanna focus more on mileage building. Also read about Milind Soman and few others competing in Ironman. Triathlon or Ironman was always on my list, but main focus was ultrathons. So, I searched for triathlons in India and realised that, like marathons, here too there are varying duration and distances and each have its own qualification criteria. I can run and cycle, but not swim (not yet). So the short long term plan is as follows

Jan 2016- Full marathon (already registered)
Till mid- 2017 - run at least one ultrathon (more than 75km run)
2018- One basic or entry level or Olympic distance triathlon.

In 2016, I will be starting and focusing more on swimming and occasional running. Hope the 2016 Marathon goes well. Also I was worried about post marathon depressions, but now I have few targets for next 2 3 years to help me be focused on strength and stamina build up.

To finish off, let me talk about few secondary activities. Gave up on Guitar learning. Lost the motivation and too difficult to start off. Language, I am not sure I will go any ahead with any of them for next few months. Juggling, after 4 ball, I am just not able to go ahead. Five ball juggling seems a long long dream to accomplish. There are 5 to 6 steps to reach upto 5 ball juggling and I am currently struggling with 1st. It is just 15 to 20 mins of practice per day.

Signing off, hope to catch up with you readers once more before the month goes by !!!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the clutter-free theme. White. Simple. Elegant. Got a lowdown on what you've been up to in the last month. Books- Good progress. Running- I am amazed you have been streamlining it so well. Great to know of the targets that you've set. Guitar- Yes, I am struggling there too. Language- You had your plate full. Juggling- Patience, patience, patience. The month remaining- Make the most of it. Once you get to work, everything else will take a backseat. At least the first few months, when you would be getting acclimatized to your work profile, workplace and colleagues. It was a treat reading your blog after a long time. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement and warning about the initial work months :)

      Delete