Saturday, August 29, 2020

Sandy's top 10 movie picks

 Hi friends!

This is the first of my series of 'Sandy's top 10 picks' blog series. Recently I have been on the internet searching for suggestions for a product and then going through product reviews. Many would list down top picks and some would write about the top 3 pros and cons. This gave me an idea to write down about my top picks in different categories. I start off with the movies section with this post - 

1. Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa - 1994 - Starring Shahrukh Khan (Sunil). This is a story about Sunil who likes music and is part of a band that performs in Goa. The family tries to force him to study and doesn't approve much of his musical talent. From IMDB - "A dreamer falls for a girl who is in love with someone else and tries to create a rift between her and the man she loves."

Recently I saw an old interview of Shahrukh Khan and he mentioned this is his favorite movie too. The lesson he learned from the movie - it is okay to be confused and not have complete clarity at times. Every person has some values and beliefs which makes them unique but not better than anyone else. So Just like our belief, others have their own and no one is better than the other.

Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa (1994)


2. Pyaar kiya toh darna kya - 1998 - This is comedy + Love. As a kid, I loved the movie for the fun part as well as the songs. The most inspiring part of the movie is the effort taken by Suraj (Salman Khan) to win over Muskaan (Kajol) and her brother. The struggles are real and inspire one to fall true love at all costs.

Why Be Afraid of Love Poster


Ths song - O O Jaane Jaane - and the para - 


Mera Khaab Mere Khayaloon Ki Rani
Kisi Din Banegi Humari Kahani
Ye Kasam Maine Li
Pyaar Mein Ek Din
Meri Jaan Tujhe Hai Paana
Sapnoo Mein Roz Aaye
Aa Zindagi Mein Aa Na
O O Jaane Jaana
Dhoondhe Tujhe Deewana
Sapnoo Mein Roz Aaye
Aa Zindagi Mein Aa Na Sanam


3. Rab ne bana di jodi - 2008 - There is a lot of controversy about the main plot - that how come the wife didn't recognize the husband when he shaved off the mustache. Some of my friends came to my rescue and explained that in Superman also something similar happens. This movie also casts my favorite actor and actress and that is another reason for this being a special one.

The cinematography is just amazing and so are the songs. The movie teaches that - Haule Haule love ho jayega. On one side Suroi goes through a lot of hard work to make Taani happy but refuses to change to get Taani's love. Another aspect that movie covers well is the forces of nature. Suri and Taani get the same number (21 - my birthdate) and then they pair up as a dancing couple.

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi Poster


Time to move onto some motivational and inspiring movies - 


4. Jo Jeeta wohi Sikandar - 1992 - This movie is just so motivating - Hard work and dedication can make you champ - it doesn't matter where you are in the present moment. Also, as the title suggests - at the end what matters is - who Won, who is the Champ?

This movie is my Marathon movie - I watch it a night before my marathon run. This never disappoints and it always lifts up my spirit. The movie helps me remember the reason why I started running and the importance to finish the 42 km run. In the end, the one crossing the line matters.

He Who Wins Is King Poster


5. Kung Fu Panda - 2008 - I am not sure if I should even write about this. This is just AWESOME. The punch lines leave a long-lasting impact on me whenever I see it. This is both for kids and adults. I always learn something new about myself whenever I watch this. This again tells us that you just need to believe and work hard and you can achieve the impossible.

The noodle dream - I keep getting coding dreams :P
There is no secret ingredient - for anything to be special we just need to believe that it is special.
There is no good and bad news - there is just news.

The list just goes on. Do watch it if you haven't yet.

Kung Fu Panda Poster


6. Rocky Balboa - 4 - 1985 - This movie again shows how you can conquer the impossible, that is not the beauty of the movie for me. The beauty lies in the journey. In the previous part of the movie, Rocky loses his coach and it showcases how he cope up with that. In this part, he loses his friend and former champion Apollo. Apollo died in a match with Draco and Rocky accepts to fight Draco.

His support system is almost gone and the hardest blow comes when his wife doesn't support him and she is sure that Rocky would die - calling it a suicide mission. In spite of all this Rocky goes ahead and chooses the most non-conventional way of training. To achieve something you haven't before, you need to train differently than before and train harder.

Rocky tries to convince his wife to let him fight  - "Oh, Adrian. Adrian always tells the truth. No maybe I can't win. Maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me he's gotta have the guts to stand in front of me, and to do that he's gotta be willin to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know. I don't know."


7. Men of honor - 2000 - Not sure how many of you have watched this. The film was directed by George Tillman Jr. It is inspired by the true story of Master Chief Petty Officer Carl Brashear, the first African American master diver in the United States Navy.

This movie has some great punch lines too - 

Jo: Why do you want this so badly?
Carl Brashear: Because they said I couldn't have it

“The Navy Diver is not a fighting man, he is a salvage expert. If it is lost underwater, he finds it. If it's sunk, he brings it up. If it's in the way, he moves it. If he's lucky, he will die young, 200 feet beneath the waves, for that is the closest he'll ever get to being a hero.”

Beware what you wish for cookie



8. Planes - Fire and rescue - 2014 - A Pixar movie and part two of planes -  about a plane that used to be a racer and was a world champion. This is an animated movie where Cars, Planes, etc speak and tell their story. The plane's engine is damaged and can never race again. The only hope for the plane's survival is to join the fire and rescue team. This is an inspiring story of how a champion finds meaning and purpose in life after an early retirement from the sport. It is really good for kids. It teaches about friendship, hard work, and caring about others.

Planes: Fire & Rescue Poster


9. Golmaal - 1979 - Life is not only about race and Love. It should be filled with humor and fun too. Golmaal the old one is my all-time favorite in this category. It is just funny and you can watch it over and over again.


10. Hera Pheri - 2000 - Yeh baborao ka style Hai !!!

Akshay Kumar, Paresh Rawal, and Sunil Shetty in Hera Pheri (2000)


Some of the movies that missed by list just by a whisker - 
1. Dil to pagal hai
2. Kuch kuch hota hai
3. No entry
4. Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
5. Karate Kid




I hope you like it. Would like to hear about your comments and feedback on the blog content. My next post would be on top 10 (auto)Biographies. Till then go and re-watch your favorite movie.

Top 10 (Auto)Biographies pick - sandys-top-10-autobiographies-pick.html
Top 10 Chocolate pick - sandys-top-10-chocolate-picks


PS - all the pics are taken from IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment